The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund has instituted Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowships dedicated to the encouragement, support and patronage of higher learning and of free intellectual inquiry. These seek to provide an opportunity to exceptionally talented persons to devote themselves with freedom to their creative work for a period of two years.
Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarships
A scheme called ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowships for Post-graduate Studies in India and abroad’ was initiated by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 1987. It took time to complete the formalities and the Fund was asked to launch the scheme in March 1993. The Fund set up an Expert Committee and the scheme, later called “Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarships for Doctoral Studies” took off in 1994 with a corpus of Rs 7,00,00,000 (Rs seven crores) received from the Ministry. The scheme is managed out of the interest earned on this amount.
Categories Of Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarships For Doctoral Studies
The scholarships are available for Ph.D. study in India to the following categories of students:
- Indian Nationals
- Nationals of other Asian countries
Areas of Specialization/Subject
A candidate may apply for scholarship in any one of the following areas of specialisation:
- Indian History and Civilization
- Comparative Studies in Religion & Culture
- Ecology & Environment
At the time of making the application for scholarship, a candidate should
- Hold a FIRST Class Post-graduate degree with a minimum 60% marks in aggregate in both graduate and post graduate level,
- Already be registered/admitted for Ph.D. degree with a recognized University/Institution in India. Those who have applied for registration and have not yet been registered at the time of submission of application, are not eligible to apply,
- Not be above 35 years of age,
- Be a full-time Ph.D. Scholar.
Duration of Scholarship : Up To 2 Years
VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIP
- Maintenance allowance including Tuition fee – Rs.18,000 per month
- Contingent expenses for study tours within India, purchase of books, stationery, etc. – Rs.15,000 per annum